Tuesday 26 January 2016

Heartfelt thanks to helpful neighbours

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking a number of folk living in the Natland and Sedgwick area for the help they so readily gave me a week last Saturday evening (16 Jan) between 7.40 and 8.30pm.  I was on my way from Natland to Heversham via Sedgwick when approaching the sharp left-hand bend near the river my car started to slide out of control on the ice. Knowing a car was approaching the bend from the left I averted a collision and slid across the bend over onto the land opposite and ended up in a wire fence and unable to back out. A young Scottish gentleman (the car owner) with 2 children came to my aid, followed after a time by another gentleman but they were unable to move the car. After a time another man in a truck came along and kindly roped me up then pulled me back onto the road. I delayed a further couple who arrived on the scene. We very quickly dispersed due to the cold and snow. All were concerned and gave their help willingly.

Although I did thank everyone at the time I thought I would place a message on the village site to acknowledge their kindness. No names were exchanged but they will know who they are! It so happened that it was my birthday and I was off to a dance to celebrate! Needless to say I did not go but went home, changed into warm clothing and had a cup of tea and reflected on the evening's happenings. I do believe their kindness was the best birthday present I received. My thanks again to everyone.

Margaret Lister

Long Meadow Lane