About Natland

Natland is an attractive village located about two miles south of Kendal in the South Lakeland district of Cumbria and south west of the mainline railway station at Oxenholme. At the time of the 2011 census, the resident population was around 800.


Village landmarks include St Mark’s Church, the fourth church on the site, St Mark’s C of E Primary School, the Village Hall and the Village Store & Post Office (formerly a public house – The Horse and Farrier). The Village Green, with its Coronation oak tree (1952), picnic table and two memorial seats is a popular venue for locals and visitors alike. The Village Green and the Natland side of the Helm are both common land owned by the Lord of the Manor, whose family seat is Sizergh Castle.



The Civil Parish of Natland covers 892 acres of open countryside on the east bank of the River Kent, in Cumbria. It extends from the river to the sudden steep slope of Helm, which rises to 185m above sea level providing a fine viewpoint. Natland Village stands at the centre of the Parish.

There are numerous public footpaths and attractive walks in the area – up Helm (with the Station Inn at the north end and the Punchbowl at the south), north along the old canal towpath or the River Kent toward Kendal or south to Sedgwick.

Sizergh Castle (National Trust with tea room and estate trails), Low Sizergh Barn farm shop, tea room and farm trail, The Strickland Arms pub, Levens Hall and Park and Scout Scar are within walking distance.

A regular bus service between Kendal and Arnside, the 552, has a bus stop opposite Park Close; a more frequent service to and from Kendal, the 41 and 41A, runs along the A65 at the top of Oxenholme Lane.

To read a brief the history of the parish of Natland click here.