Monday 26 March 2012

Natlander to carry Olympic Torch

Out of the blue in November 2011 I received an email from CocaCola saying I had been nominated as a suitable person to carry the Olympic Torch and would I accept the nomination. I had no idea who had nominated me but of course I said `YES` straightaway. In late December I received another email saying I had got through some of the selection rounds and if I still wished to be considered I would have to sign all sorts of disclaimers covering political activities, sponsorship, advertising etc and giving my permission for them to carry out background checks such as CRB ones. I sent them off and then received another email offering me a conditional place subject to the CRB and also asking me for my body measurements for the track suit that they would provide. At this point I began to get excited and feel I had a real chance of being selected. Round about this time I found out that I had been nominated by my eldest daughter and her nomination had included my fund raising efforts for the local Hospice in Rossendale ( I ran the London and New York marathons), my acting as a guide runner for a friend of mine who is blind (we ran the Great North Run twice and several Great Langdale half marathons) and also the two months I spent out in Thailand as a volunteer after the Tsunami in 2004. Finally on Monday 19th March I got the email saying I had been selected and would be carrying the Torch in Kendal on the 22nd June 2012. At the moment I have no other information except that the run starts at The Castle at 8am and goes through town. I shall be expected to carry the Torch for only 300m but I think it is such an honour to be asked to even that bit.
It has actually turned into a family affair as my sister will be carrying it on Saturday 23rd June in Rossendale, Lancashire so a double      celebration !!
                  David J. Ratcliffe